It comes as no surprise that people have long forgotten what potatoes really are because most of us think that they contain too many carbohydrates and might even make you obese. It’s high time we revealed the truth about this all-familiar veggie that has acquired a bad reputation over the recent years.
Let’s face it: if something seems unhealthy, the odds are that you are just cooking it in a wrong way.
It is undoubtedly true that fried potatoes or potato chips are not healthy, and that is the key reason why we consider potatoes not good for our health. And this is a shame because this veggie is actually ranked as one of the healthiest products in the world, so you should definitely include it into your diet as long as you know how to cook it in the right way. Read on to find out all you need about healthy potato meals.
What Nutrients Can Be Found in a Potato?
Although the nutritional content of a potato largely depends on its type, all of them have a range of similar health benefits such as the following:
- Potatoes contain a lot of antioxidants. These plant nutrients protect your body against the risk of chronic diseases or inflammatory conditions;
- Potatoes simplify digestion. They are high in starch that is supposed to nourish your body with healthy bacteria, which are vital for proper digestion. As a result, it protects you from colon cancer and even mitigates inflammation in the colon;
- Potatoes improve bone health. They contain lots of minerals and vitamins including calcium, magnesium, and iron among others, which can largely be found in their skin and ensure proper bone strength.
It is not a high-calorie product, but it contains lots of nutrients including fiber, vitamin C and B6, potassium, folate, zinc, and other vital ingredients, which make this veggie an excellent choice for everyone who is conscious about his/her health.
How to Make Potatoes Good for Your Health?
When we are talking about getting as many nutrients as possible from potato meals, sweet potatoes appear to be an unbeatable winner. The best way to get the most out of potatoes is to eat them as they are, without peeling the skin.
If you are wondering what healthy toppers can improve the taste of cooked potatoes, here are a few excellent options:
1. Salsa is a lot better than sour cream. Use this low-calorie tomato mix to make your meal a bit spicier and more delicious;
2. Use yeast to add proteins to your diet. We know a much better alternative to cheese. Yeast has a cheesy taste, but contains a lot more nutrients than any other topping;
3. Add vegetarian chili to your meals. Even though this seems to be a classic all-favorite meal, don’t be confused because we are not talking about the beef chili that is not good for health. Instead, try a vegetarian recipe and fill up your chili sauce with healthy vegan-friendly ingredients.
5 Healthy Plant-Powered Potato Recipes That Keep Nutrients Intact
If you are now wondering how to make your diet healthier with the help of potatoes, here are a few great options to try out:
- One of the healthy baked potato recipes is casserole with mushrooms, which has a delicious flavor and is a nourishing meal for a family dinner or special events;
- One more option belongs to the class of healthy mashed sweet potato recipes and is added with an appetizing thyme flavor, while maple syrup will add a special touch to this meal;
- As a low-calorie option, try healthy potato salad recipes that are truly versatile and can be used as an everyday meal or a tasty holiday option;
- Try out a potato sagu recipe if you are a vegetarian and would like to diversify your daily meals. This Indian meal is a great way to add something special to your diet;
- Healthy chicken and potato recipes are excellent for lunchtime as they are nourishing and truly delicious.
Make your whole family happy by checking out a few splendid potato recipes that will definitely be to the liking of every potato fan.