History of the Asian Orange Chicken:
Asian Orange Chicken is a popular dish in Chinese-American cuisine. Legend has it that the dish was invented by a chef in Hunan Province in China who was experimenting with different ingredients. The chef combined crispy fried chicken with a tangy and sweet orange sauce, which became a hit among the locals.
In the 1980s, Chinese immigrants brought the recipe to the United States, where it gained popularity among Chinese-American communities. Today, it is served in Chinese-American restaurants across the country and has become a favorite dish for many households.
Tips and Tricks for Asian Orange Chicken Recipe:
To make this dish perfect, follow these tips and tricks:
- Marinating the chicken in the sauce for at least 2 hours is essential for maximum flavor. The longer the chicken marinates, the more flavor it will absorb.
- Make sure the chicken is coated evenly with the seasoned flour before frying. This will ensure that the chicken is crispy and golden brown.
- For a healthier option, you can bake the chicken instead of frying it. Arrange the coated chicken on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in a preheated oven at 400В°F for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- To make the dish spicier, increase the amount of red pepper flakes in the sauce.
Tips for presenting the dish:
To make your Asian Orange Chicken look as good as it tastes, consider these tips for plating:
- Serve the chicken with steamed rice and garnish with sliced green onions and orange zest.
- Arrange the chicken on a bed of lettuce for a refreshing twist.
- Use a deep plate or a bowl to serve the dish to prevent the sauce from spilling over the edges.
- If you're hosting a dinner party, consider serving Asian Orange Chicken as an appetizer by skewering the chicken pieces and arranging them on a platter. Decorate the platter with sliced oranges and herbs for an elegant touch.
What Is Orange Chicken?
Orange chicken is a popular item at Chinese restaurants. It consists of small cubes of chicken that are breaded, pan-fried, and coated in an orange sauce.
The orange sauce is sweet with a little tang and a hint of spice. It's mainly known for its orange flavor (as you can guess from the name). It's typically made with orange juice and orange zest to achieve the citrus flavor.
Is Orange Chicken Chinese?
Even though you see orange chicken at Chinese restaurants in America, it's not a typical Chinese dish. Instead, it was popularized by American Chinese restaurants вЂ” alongside General Tso's chicken, which is also not traditional Chinese food.
How to Store Orange Chicken
Store orange chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for three to five days. Reheat the chicken in a skillet вЂ” you may need to add water to fix the sauce's consistency.
How to Freeze Orange Chicken
Freeze orange chicken in an airtight container or zip-top freezer bag for up to three months. Let thaw in the refrigerator overnight.