These Chinese egg rolls come from my mom who is the best cook ever — and I am a picky eater. If I like this, then you will. This is very authentic because my family is Chinese and I am too. This recipe is at least 300 years old in the Ling family.
- vegetable oil, divided : 4 tsp
- eggs, beaten : 3 piece
- cabbage, finely shredded : 1 medium head
- carrot, julienned : 0.5 piece
- Chinese barbequed or roasted pork, cut into matchsticks : 1 pound
- (8 ounce) can shredded bamboo shoots : 1 can
- dried, shredded wood ear mushroom, rehydrated : 1 cup
- green onions, thinly sliced : 2 piece
- soy sauce : 2.5 tsp
- salt : 1 tsp
- sugar : 1 tsp
- monosodium glutamate (MSG) : 0.5 tsp
- (14 ounce) package egg roll wrappers : 1 pack
- egg white, beaten : 1 piece
- oil for frying, or as needed : 4 cups
Stages of cooking
Heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Pour in beaten eggs and cook, without stirring, until firmed up. Flip eggs over and cook for an additional 20 seconds to firm the other side. Set egg pancake aside to cool, then slice into thin strips.
Heat remaining vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Stir in cabbage and carrot; cook for 2 minutes to wilt. Add pork, bamboo shoots, mushroom, green onions, soy sauce, salt, sugar, and MSG; continue cooking until vegetables soften, about 6 minutes. Stir in sliced egg, then spread the mixture out onto a pan, and refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour.
To assemble the egg rolls: Place a wrapper onto your work surface with one corner pointing towards you. Place about 3 tablespoons of cooled filling in a heap onto the bottom third of the wrapper. Brush a little beaten egg white onto the top two edges of the wrapper, then fold the bottom corner over the filling and roll firmly to the halfway point. Fold the left and right sides snugly over the egg roll, then continue rolling until the top corners seal the egg roll with the egg white. Repeat with remaining egg roll wrappers, covering finished egg rolls with plastic wrap to keep from drying out.
Heat about 6 inches of oil in a wok or deep-fryer to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Fry egg rolls 3 or 4 at a time until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain on paper towels. moodtwofood