Tangy and a touch sweet, this is a great all-purpose balsamic vinaigrette. The secret is a spoonful of Dijon mustard, which acts as an emulsifier and makes the dressing nice and thick. If possible, use the same brand of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, as different brands will yield an entirely different tasting vinaigrette — not necessarily bad, just different.
- dijon mustard : 1 Tbsp
- garlic : 1 clove (finely minced)
- finely minced shallot : 1 Tbsp (from 1 small shallot)
- salt : 0.5 tsp (1/2)
- ground black pepper : 0.25 tsp
- sugar : 1 tsp
- balsamic vinegar : 3 Tbsp
- extra virgin olive oil : 0.5 cup (1/2 cup)
Stages of cooking
To make it, all you do is combine all of the ingredients in a jar.
And shake vigorously to blend.
That’s all there is to it. Enjoy!