It’s classic French grated carrot salad, and this is a delicious spin on it. With dried cranberries, toasted walnuts and scallions in a citrus vinaigrette, it’s crunchy, tart and sweet. Perfect with a warm crusty baguette for lunch, or as a healthy side to sandwiches or burgers.
- walnuts : 0.5 cup (coarsely chopped)
- grated carrots : 1 pound (or 1-1/3 pounds carrots, peeled and grated)
- extra virgin olive oil : 3 Tbsp (or walnut oil)
- lemon zest : 1 tsp (and 2 tablespoons lemon juice, from 1 lemon)
- freshly squeezed orange juice : 3 Tbsp (from 1 orange)
- honey : 2 Tbsp
- dried cranberries : 0.5 cup
- scallions : 3 piece (white and green parts, thinly sliced)
- fresh Italian parsley : 3 Tbsp (chopped)
- salt : 0.25 tsp
- ground black pepper : 0.25 tsp
Stages of cooking
If you have carrots in your vegetable bin to use up, you can quickly grate them in your food processor. Otherwise, just buy the bagged pre-grated carrots from the produce department — they work just as well.
To begin, toast the walnuts in the oven until fragrant to enhance their flavor.
Next, combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl.
Toss to combine. If possible, let the salad sit for at least 15 minutes to give the carrots a chance to soak up the dressing.