History of the Homemade Breakfast Sausage:
Breakfast sausage has been a staple in many households for generations. Although the origin of breakfast sausage is unknown, it is believed that it was created by European immigrants who settled in North America. Homemade breakfast sausage became popular in rural communities where people raised their own pigs and made their own sausages. Today, it is enjoyed in many different cultures and is often prepared with regional spices and flavors.
Tips and Tricks for Homemade Breakfast Sausage Recipe:
- Use a good quality ground pork to ensure the patties are tender and juicy.
- Don't overwork the meat mixture as this will result in tough and dry patties.
- If you prefer a spicier sausage, increase the amount of crushed red pepper flakes.
- The patties can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to cook.
Tips for presenting the dish:
- Serve homemade breakfast sausage patties alongside scrambled eggs and a side of hash brown potatoes for a classic breakfast meal.
- For a fancier presentation, stack a homemade sausage patty on top of a fried egg and a slice of cheese to make a delicious breakfast sandwich.
- Garnish with fresh herbs or chopped green onions to add a pop of color and flavor.
How to Cook Breakfast Sausage
These patties come together in just 20 minutes. You'll find the full recipe below, but here's a brief overview of what you can expect when you make this top-rated breakfast sausage recipe:
Mix the spices and seasonings in a small bowl. In a large bowl, use your hands to combine the ground pork with the spice mixture.
Shape the seasoned sausage into patties by rolling evenly sized portions into balls, then pressing into a disc shape. This recipe should result in about six patties.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. SautГ© the patties until brown and crispy on each side.
What to Serve With Breakfast Sausage
Sandwich this breakfast sausage between two biscuit halves to make a restaurant-worthy sausage biscuit вЂ” use store-bought biscuits or try one of our best from-scratch recipes. Of course, these patties pair well with all the usual breakfast fare (such as scrambled eggs, grits, waffles, or pancakes).
How to Store Breakfast Sausage
Store cooked breakfast sausages in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days. Reheat until warmed through on the stove, in the microwave, or in the oven.
Can You Freeze Breakfast Sausage?
Yes! These breakfast sausage patties freeze and reheat very well. To freeze them: Arrange cooled patties in a single layer on a baking sheet, cover, and flash freeze for a few hours or up to overnight. Transfer the now-frozen patties to a zip-top freezer bag labeled with the date. Squeeze out the excess air, seal, and freeze for up to three months.
Microwave or bake the patties from frozen until heated through.