This shrimp curry recipe is a subtle yet richly flavored curry that complements prawns perfectly. It tastes wonderful and is a very easy meal to prepare when you are in a hurry. Make sure to remove the shrimp tails before adding them to the skillet. Serve with rice.
- peanut oil : 2 Tbsp
- sweet onion, minced : 0.5 piece
- garlic, chopped : 2 clove
- ground turmeric : 1.5 tsp
- ground ginger : 1 tsp
- ground cumin : 1 tsp
- paprika : 1 tsp
- red chili powder : 0.5 tsp
- (14.5 ounce) can chopped tomatoes : 1 can
- (14 ounce) can coconut milk : 1 can
- salt : 1 tsp
- cooked and peeled shrimp : 1 pound
- chopped fresh cilantro : 2 Tbsp
Stages of cooking
Heat peanut oil in a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion in hot oil until translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from heat and allow to cool slightly, about 2 minutes.
Add garlic, turmeric, ginger, cumin, paprika, and chile powder to onion in the skillet; stir over low heat to bloom spices, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes, coconut milk, and salt. Bring to a boil for 1 minute, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
Stir in shrimp and cilantro; simmer until shrimp turns opaque, about 1 minute.