This simple and delicious one-pan sausage and peppers recipe has been used in our family for years and years now. Serve in a roll, or use as a topping for pizza or pasta. For an extra kick, try using 1/2 sweet Italian sausage and 1/2 hot sausage!
- (4 ounce) links sweet Italian sausage : 6 links
- butter : 2 Tbsp
- yellow onion, sliced : 1 medium
- red onion, sliced : 0.5 medium
- garlic, minced : 4 clove
- red bell pepper, sliced : 1 piece
- green bell pepper, sliced : 1 medium
- dried basil : 1 tsp
- dried oregano : 1 tsp
- white wine, or more to taste : 0.25 cup
Stages of cooking
Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until brown on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from skillet, and slice.
Melt butter in the same skillet. Stir in onions and garlic, and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Mix in bell peppers, season with basil and oregano, and stir in 1/4 cup wine. Continue to cook and stir until peppers and onions are tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
Return sausage slices to the skillet. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes, or until sausage is heated through, adding more wine if needed. Dotdash Meredith Food Studios