Mulligatawny soup means "pepper water," and curry is the particular ingredient that gives this incredible dish such a delicious flavor, or so I'm told. This old recipe was given to me long ago.
- chopped onion : 0.5 cup
- celery, chopped : 2 stalks
- carrot, diced : 1 piece
- butter : 0.25 cup
- all-purpose flour : 1.5 Tbsp
- curry powder : 1.5 tsp
- chicken broth : 4 cups
- apple, cored and chopped : 0.5 piece
- white rice : 0.25 cup
- skinless, boneless chicken breast half - cut into cubes : 1 piece
- dried thyme : 1 pinch
- salt and ground black pepper to taste : 0 piece
- heavy cream, heated : 0.5 cup
Stages of cooking
Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onions, celery, and carrot and sauté until soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Add flour and curry, and cook 5 more minutes, stirring frequently. Add chicken broth, mix well, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
Add apple, rice, chicken, thyme, salt, and pepper. Simmer until rice is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
Just before serving, stir in hot cream. TheBritishBaker