These crowd-pleasing Sloppy Joe sandwiches will take you back to your childhood! This is my mom's recipe and it always gets compliments!
- lean ground beef : 1 pound
- chopped onion : 0.25 cup
- chopped green bell pepper : 0.25 cup
- ketchup, or to taste : 0.75 cup
- brown sugar, or to taste : 1 Tbsp
- yellow mustard, or to taste : 1 tsp
- garlic powder : 0.5 tsp
- salt and ground black pepper to taste : 0 piece
- hamburger buns, split : 6 piece
Stages of cooking
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir lean ground beef in the hot skillet until some of the fat starts to render, 3 to 4 minutes. Add onion and bell pepper; continue to cook until vegetables have softened and beef is cooked through, 3 to 5 more minutes.
Stir in ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, and garlic powder; season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
Divide meat mixture evenly among hamburger buns. Dianne