This slaw is refreshingly bright and crunchy. It’s a healthier alternative to mayo-laden slaws, and a perfect accompaniment to burgers or Sloppy Joes. Make it at least an hour or up to a day ahead of time, as the flavor and texture improve as it sits. And feel free to buy the cabbage and carrots already shredded to make life easy.
- red cabbage : 6 cup (shredded)
- carrots : 3 cup (shredded)
- shallot : 0.25 cup (finely chopped, from 1 to 2 shallots)
- garlic : 1 clove (minced)
- fresh cilantro : 0.5 cup (coarsely chopped, parsley may be substituted)
- orange : 1 piece (zest and juice, about 1 teaspoon zest and 1/4 cup juice)
- lime juice : 0.25 cup (fresh, from 2 limes)
- vegetable oil : 0.3 cup
- sugar : 1.5 Tbsp (or honey)
- salt : 1 tsp
- freshly ground black pepper : 0.5 tsp
Stages of cooking
To make the slaw, simply combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl.
Then cover the slaw and refrigerate at least one hour or overnight to allow the flavors to marry and the vegetables to soften. Serve cold and enjoy!