Tortillas is a traditional Mexican dish that is also called “Mexican Casserole”. It is a nice choice for a festive table, but it can also be cooked for supper to please your loved ones. The combination of chili powder, red pepper and cumin is a highlight of this dish that makes it stand out from the crowd.
- ground beef : 500 g (can be replaced with ground turkey)
- tomato sauce : 450 ml
- onion : 0.5 piece (chopped)
- black beans : 200 g (drained and rinsed)
- whole kernel corn : 160 g (frozen)
- green chilies : 90 g (undrained and chopped)
- flour tortillas : 4 piece
- cheddar cheese : 2 cup (shredded)
- chili powder : 2 tsp
- cumin : 1 tsp (ground)
- garlic : 1 tsp (dry and powered)
- oregano leaves : 0.5 tsp (dry)
- red pepper flakes : 0.5 tsp (crushed)
Stages of cooking
16016Take a frying pan and heat it on medium fire. Add 2 teaspoons of canola oil. Fry ground beef with chopped onion for about 15 minutes until the meat is ready. Do not forget to stir the dish while frying.
As soon as the meat becomes light brown, drain off extra fat and add tomato sauce. Stir the dish once again.
Add beans, corn, green chilies and stir well one more time.
Then add all spices included into the list of ingredients, except for the red pepper. If necessary, add ¾ cup of water not to make the dish too dry. Simmer the meat with spices on small fire for several minutes. Now, you can add crushed red pepper.
Take two flour tortillas and out them on the table so that they become a bit overlapped.
Spoon half of the topping and dredge with half of the shredded cheddar cheese. Then put two more flour tortillas, the rest of the meat topping and cheese. Bake at 180 C (350 F) for about 10-15 minutes until the cheese melts. Then take your tortillas away from the oven and let it cool down a bit. Cut into squares and serve! Bon appétit!