The word fritter usually conjures up something heavy and deep-fried, but these zucchini pancakes are as light and delicate as can be. Shredded zucchini is combined with eggs, garlic, scallions, feta and dill, and then pan-fried in olive oil until crisp on the exterior and tender on the interior.
- zucchini : 1 pound (about 2 medium, trimmed)
- salt : 1 tsp
- large eggs : 2 piece
- scallions : 2 piece (minced)
- fresh chopped dill : 2 Tbsp
- feta cheese : 0.5 cup (crumbled)
- garlic : 1 clove (medium, minced or pressed through a garlic press)
- black pepper : 0.25 tsp
- cornstarch : 0.25 cup (or all purpose flour)
- baking powder : 0.5 tsp
- olive oil : 6 Tbsp (+ Lemon wedges, for serving)
Stages of cooking
Begin by shredding the zucchini on a box grater or in a food processor.
Transfer the zucchini to a fine mesh strainer, then toss with the salt to draw out the liquid. Let sit for about ten minutes, and then use your hands to squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
Combine the dried zucchini with the eggs, scallions, dill, feta, garlic and pepper.
Then sprinkle the corn starch and baking powder over top, and stir until well incorporated.
Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet, and then drop the batter into into the pan. Pan-fry until golden brown on both sides.
Drain on paper towels, then serve warm or room temperature with lemon wedges.