If you are looking for a recipe of an unusual sauce, then cactus and corn salsa will be the best choice! It takes only 30 minutes to cook this Mexican sauce, but the result will surprise you and your loved ones! Cook it right away to serve with your favorite dishes.
- olive oil : 2 tsp
- cactus paddles : 2 piece (without spikes)
- tomatoes : 2 piece (green, cut into halves)
- onion : 0.5 piece (peeled and cut into 4 parts)
- Jalapeno : 2 piece (red or green)
- corn : 1 cup (frozen)
- cilantro : 1 cup (without stems)
- garlic : 1 clove (peeled)
- chili pepper : 2 piece (without stems)
- tequila : 2 Tbsp (optional)
- dried oregano : 1 tsp
- salt : 0.5 tsp (or to your taste)
- lime juice : 1 Tbsp
Stages of cooking
Pre-heat the oven to 218 C (425 F). Grease a baking pan with olive oil a bit. Meanwhile, take a large and sharp knife and cut off all the nubs and prickles off the cactus paddles. Cut the cactus crosswise into thick strips.
Bake cactus, white onion, green tomatoes and jalapenos in the pre-heated oven for about 12 minutes. The cactus will be ready, when is gets crispy if pierced with a fork.
Take a frying pan and heat olive oil on medium fire in it. Add frozen corn and roast in the hot pan for about 2-3 minutes until it gets brown. Then stir the corn and keep roasting for 2-3 minutes more. Remove the pan from heat.
Process the vegetables baked in the oven with garlic, cilantro, oregano, lime juice, tequila and salt. Puree for about 30 seconds to get a smooth mixture.
Pour the readymade salsa into a serving dish. Add roasted corn and leave the salsa in the fridge for about 30-60 minutes. Serve with tortilla chips. Enjoy!