This salad is perfect for a desk or picnic lunch, potluck salad, or side dish to grilled shrimp or chicken. Feel free to add feta cheese crumbles to bulk it up, if you like.
- finely diced red onion : 0.3 cup (1/3 cup, from 1 small red onion)
- chickpeas : 2 can (2 (15 oz) cans (preferably Goya), drained and rinsed (see note))
- extra virgin olive oil : 3 Tbsp
- vegetable oil : 3 Tbsp
- freshly squeezed lemon juice : 1 Tbsp (from 1 lemon)
- finely chopped fresh parsley : 0.3 cup (1/3 cup)
- salt : 0.5 tsp (1/2 teaspoon)
- freshly ground black pepper : 0.25 tsp (1/4 teaspoon)
- sugar : 0.25 tsp (1/4 teaspoon)
Stages of cooking
You can use both extra virgin olive oil and vegetable oil to make the dressing for this salad. Sometimes the flavor of olive oil can be too strong, so I like to cut it with vegetable oil.
Begin by finely dicing the red onion.
Next, place the diced onions in a small bowl and cover with cold water.
Let sit for 10 minutes, then drain. This step tames the bite of the raw onion, which can be overpowering (at least for raw onion-phobes like me).
Combine the onions with the remaining ingredients.
Toss well, then taste and adjust seasoning with more lemon, salt, and pepper, if necessary.
Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Enjoy!