Next time you’re asked to bring a veggie or salad to a summer party, try these sweet and smoky bell peppers topped with tangy feta, toasted pine nuts, fresh basil and olives. The salad looks gorgeous on a plate, and is delicious with toasted pita bread, grilled lamb burgers or chicken kebabs.
- bell peppers : 4 piece (any combination of red, yellow or orange, halved, seeded and cored)
- extra virgin olive oil : 2 Tbsp
- red wine vinegar : 2 tsp
- garlic : 1 clove (small, minced)
- fresh chopped basil : 3 Tbsp (divided)
- dried oregano : 0.5 tsp
- sugar : 1 tsp
- salt : 0.75 tsp
- freshly ground black pepper : 0.2 tsp
- pine nuts : 3 Tbsp
- feta cheese : 2 oz (a scant 1/2 cup, crumbled)
- pitted kalamata olives : 0.3 cup
Stages of cooking
Begin by placing the pepper halves on a foil-lined baking sheet.
Broil until blackened and charred all over.
Place the cooked peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. This steams the peppers and makes them easier to peel.
Once cool, the skin will peel right off.
Cut the roasted peppers into slices and toss with the olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, basil, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper. Refrigerate for about at least one hour or overnight.
Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts in a small skillet to enhance their flavor.
When the peppers are cold, arrange them nicely on a platter and sprinkle with feta, olives and toasted pine nuts. Enjoy!