CategoryHot dishes Hot vegetable dish Other vegetables Side dishes Rice Other side dish Vegetarian recipes
Vangi Bhath is a South Indian dish, which is generally served with rice. The dish is rich in spices, so, it’s a nice choice for all those, who love spicy food. Cook it and enjoy with your friends and family!
- Boiled rice : 2 cup
- Brinjals : 7 piece (small and elongated)
- urad dal : 2 tsp (for the main dish)
- Bengal gram : 2 tsp
- tamarind : 1 piece (lemon size)
- mustard seeds : 2 tsp
- Vangi bath powder : 3 Tbsp
- curry leaves : 1 bunch (small)
- Jaggery : 0.5 Tbsp (grated)
- salt : 1 tsp (to your taste)
- oil : 2 Tbsp
- Channa dal : 2 Tbsp (for Vangi bath powder)
- Copra : 2 Tbsp (grated, for Vangi bath powder)
- coriander seeds : 2 tsp (for Vangi bath powder)
- Fenugreek Seeds : 2 Tbsp (for Vangi bath powder)
- hot pepper : 5 piece (for Vangi bath powder)
- Elachi : 1 pinch (for Vangi bath powder)
- turmeric powder : 1 pinch (for Vangi bath powder)
- cinnamon sticks : 0.5 piece (for Vangi bath powder)
- urad dal : 2 Tbsp (for Vangi bath powder)
- clove : 1 pinch (for Vangi bath powder)
Stages of cooking
Prepare the ingredients for the dish to have them at hand while cooking. Cut brinjals into cubical shape and start boiling them.
Meanwhile, cook the Vangi bath powder using all the required ingredients from the list. Dry roast them first and grind to fine powder then.
Heat oil in a frying pan. Add mustard seeds, bengal gram, urad dal and curry leaves. Then add fenu greek powder, brinjals and fry for some time. Add tamarind extract and simmer the ingredients together for about 5 minutes.
Make sure brinjals are well cooked.
Add Vangi bath powder and keep cooking for 2 minutes more.
Mix rice with other ingredients and serve the dish hot! Bon appétit!